45. Demolished home
East Jerusalem, Palestine
Giclée print on Hahnemühle photo rag paper
30 x 42 cm
5/5 edition (+ AP)
A demolished Palestinian home sits on a hillside in the northern suburbs of East Jerusalem.
On June 27 1967, nearly two weeks after the end of Six Day War, the Israeli government of Levi Eshkol decided to annex East Jerusalem and a surrounding 64 square kilometres (including 28 Palestinian villages) to the State of Israel. Since 1948, Jerusalem had been split by 'the Green line' dividing the city between the Israeli-controlled West Jerusalem and the Jordanian-controlled East Jerusalem. After the war, the East Jerusalemites found themselves partially integrated into Israel and subject to Israeli law, unlike the inhabitants of the West Bank who found themselves subject to a mix of Israeli military law.